Day One

It’s all fun and games until it’s real-life.

My feet hurt. My back hurts. I’m sleepy. I have case notes to write up and present tomorrow, so I’m told. I have stuff to read up on. I’m sleepy.

To summarise my first day in real-life medicine (surgery clerkship):
I attended an occupational health workshop in which I learnt to properly wash my hands.
Due to the workshop ending at 12:30 pm, I had to rush to the hospital to meet with my surgery clerkship coordinator at 1:00 pm. No lunch. No snacks. Nothing since breakfast at 8:00 am.
I met a couple of persons on the surgical team to which I was assigned. I discovered my team is on call.
I removed sutures and observed a urinary catheterisation and IV set up.
I missed the usual dinner time and still had no snacks. No solid food since breakfast at 8:00 am.
I watched and recorded an intern clerk a patient.
I stared at two patient X-ray films and tried to decipher them.
I left the hospital at 9:30 pm, arrived home and ate at 9:50 pm, finally.

Honestly, I’m surprised I even made it through the day with nothing but breakfast and some occasional sips of water. See how important they must be? And I was walking up and down between 3 floors all afternoon too. Between the wards and A & E. Maybe tomorrow, if I find time, I can be more detailed with my thoughts. Anyways, that’s the day in a nutshell. I may have said this before: I’m sleepy.

Now, I have to go write up some case from today and head to bed. I’ll have to save the fun reads till tomorrow, you know, before post-call ward rounds at 7:30 am.

Ah boy, did I mention that I’m sleepy?

One thought on “Day One

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s